Monday, March 11, 2013

Hot Fudge Brownie "Larabars"

In my quest to make healthy snacks for my family I came across this recipe many times:  http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/08/12/hot-fudge-brownie-larabars/.  The dates made me tentative to try it at first because I always thought of them as giant raisins.  I was looking for a bar recipe to try and this popped up.  "Hot Fudge" caught my eye, there wasn't a laundry list of ingredients, and the picture looked appetizing enough that I thought I would give it a try.  I have a 7 cup food processor which is small and it all fit in at once.  I put the dates in first and pulsed them until they were chopped.  I then added the rest of the ingredients and blended it until it was pretty fine/mixed.  The recipe direction said "feel free to experiment" and gave a few ideas, so I halved the amount of walnuts and added cashews.  I put 3 tablespoons of cocoa and added 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.  I put the mix in a plastic Ziplock bag to form the bars, just sort of mush them into a rectangle, and to store them.       

The verdict:  They were actually pretty awesome.  They have a great dense brownie texture and taste like fudge with a hint of fruit.  They were a little crumbly, but you can just smush them back together.  I was pretty surprised and kinda of impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment