Saturday, March 23, 2013

Fluffy Marshmallows

I have a bit of a marshmallow obsession at the moment and decided to make some marshmallow bits for Easter treats.  I used this recipe:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-marshmallows-recipe/index.html and I substituted the sugar syrup from this recipe, http://thecoconutmama.com/2011/05/homemade-marshmallows-2/, for the corn syrup.  I used organic sugar and organic powdered sugar because they are not as processed as conventional sugar and have a lovely natural honey color when melted.  This recipe is pretty self explanatory and not too difficult.  I used my stand mixer to mix, I don't use my hand mixer as some recipes suggest.  I have also never made the mini marshmallows because the liquid marshmallow is very sticky and I think it would just make a big mess.  It is just as easy to use a pizza cutter to make bitty marshmallows. 

The verdict:  This batch turned out super fluffy and they have a fantastic texture.  The last time I made these I use 1 cup of sugar dissolved in 1/4 cup of warm water for the corn syrup substitute and the marshmallows turned out a tad more dense with a little bit of a crust on the outside.  The sugar syrup I made this time definitely made a difference.  So far this is my favorite marshmallow recipe.  They are wonderful in my homemade hot cocoa :)  

1 comment: