Friday, February 22, 2013

Marshin Mallows

I meant to make fruit snacks with the gelatin I had purchased, but ended up with an impromptu batch of marshmallows instead (I put the gelatin in water instead of juice the first time).  I use this recipe http://thecoconutmama.com/2011/05/homemade-marshmallows-2/ because it had the option of using coconut sugar.  It also does not contains any corn syrup, you make your own sugar syrup.  I had tried making marshmallows without corn syrup previously by substituting with a sugar and water combination that I found as an alternative to corn syrup in recipes, but the texture ended up being a little off.  This method makes for a more marshmallowy texture.

I used the homemade sugar syrup, coconut sugar, and I made my marshmallows cocoa flavored by adding 1/3 cup of cocoa powder to the gelatin mix.  Marshmallows are fun to make and to watch grow into sticky puffy clouds in the mixer.  I also put cocoa into the powdered sugar/arrowroot dusting mixture.  I used 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder, and 1/2 a cup of powdered sugar.  I didn't follow the directions exactly for last part of the recipe.  I greased a 9x13 inch pan with coconut oil and then generously dusted it with the cocoa sugar mixture.  I spread the marshmallow in the pan and then generously dusted the top with more mixture.  I reserved some mix for cutting the marshmallows.  This method works well for me as far as ease of getting the marshmallows out of the pan after they set.

The verdict:  The texture was great.  They have a light cocoa taste with a hint of carmeliness from the coconut sugar (coconut sugar tastes sort of like brown sugar).   My Dad loves cocoa marshmallows and was the motivation behind this experiment.   

No comments:

Post a Comment