Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Liquid Gold (Chocolate Syrup)

In an effort to eat a little healthier/know what we are eating, I found a few recipes and decided to make our own chocolate syrup.  My husband is a chocolate milk fiend and I am a hot cocoa fiend, so I thought this would be a good processed product to start making at home.  I have tried two recipes so far.

Here is the #1 recipe I tried:  http://savingcommoncents.blogspot.com/2013/01/homemade-chocolate-syrup.html.  The first time I made I followed the recipe exactly and boiled it for a long time (because it does not say how long in the recipe) making it very fudgey.  The second time I made it I cut the vanilla to 1 teaspoon.  The third time I made it I used coconut sugar.  I think the best results were the third results because coconut sugar has more to offer than regular sugar and it was a good thickness.

The #2 recipe is this one:  http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-chocolate-syrup/.  This recipe was very simple and I used coconut sugar in it.  I also added salt like in the first recipe.  The result was a very thick, strong syrup.

The verdict:  I like first and third version of the #1 recipe best.  The #2 recipe was too bitter for my liking and was really only good for hot cocoa.  The first recipe is good for hot cocoa, chocolate milk, ice cream, etc.  I enjoy the thick consistency, but the more syrupy recipe is better for chocolate milk.      

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for some homemade chocolate syrup recipes to appease my mocha latte cravings - you have great timing! I will definitely give these a go :) - Trish

    ReplyDelete