Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Texas Sheet Cake

Yes, I made my own birthday cake ;)  I made a Texas Sheet Cake which is a thin chocolate cake with a fudgey layer of icing.  I used my aunt's recipe and this recipe http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/texas-sheet-cake-v/Detail.aspx because the steps in my aunt's recipe were not very detailed.  The recipes were pretty much the same, except the amount of each ingredient in the icing was slightly different.  My aunt has been making this for years and we all love it.  The last time I had it was at my wedding shower, so I figured it was time for me to give it a try.  Both recipes say to mix the dry ingredients with the sour cream and eggs.  I am not sure I will do this again as it makes the batter lumpy and you end up with little lumps of flour in the cake.  Other recipes mixed these ingredients in a different order and I will try to keep wet and dry separate and then mix them together get a better mix.  I also used the Texas Sheet Cake V recipe for the icing because I was not sure how much powdered sugar was in a "box" of powdered sugar.  Also, that recipe had more cocoa in it which is fine by me.

The Verdict:  I love this cake.  The cake has a light chocolate flavor and the icing has a wonderful fudgey crust with a great fudge flavor.

Matt's Verdict:  Fantastic ;)  

Aunt Rita's Recipe:

2 c flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 c sour cream
2 c  sugar
2 eggs
1 t baking soda

Mix in bowl and set aside.

Mix in pan:
1 c butter
1 c water
5 T cocoa

Bring to boil and mix with flour mixture.  Pour into greased baking sheet.  Bake at 350 20-25 min, and cool.

Icing:
Into a bowl put; 1 box powdered sugar and 1 t vanilla.  In pan mix 1/2 c butter, 1/3 c milk, and 3 T cocoa.  Bring to boil and mix all together.  Put icing on cake while it is warm.

Texas Sheet Cake V:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/texas-sheet-cake-v/Detail.aspx

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup water
  • 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  •  
  • 6 tablespoons milk
  • 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10x15 inch pan.
  2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat in the sour cream and eggs. Set aside. Melt the butter on low in a saucepan, add the water and 5 tablespoons cocoa. Bring mixture to a boil then remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly, then stir cocoa mixture into the dry ingredients, mixing until blended.
  3. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  4. For the icing: In a large saucepan, combine the milk, 5 tablespoons cocoa and 1/2 cup butter. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Stir in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla, then fold in the nuts, mixing until blended. Spread frosting over warm cake.


3 comments:

  1. Thinking I might make my own birthday cake this year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the perfect way to get the cake you want and to give to others on your birthday ;)

    March 16, 2011 7:08 AM

    ReplyDelete