Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies

 


I had two bananas that were getting a bit too ripe for my liking and I wanted to make an item for my MOPS meeting with ingredients I already had in the cupboard because I hate making multiple trips to the grocery store.  After much research and indecision, I chose this recipe:  http://bakingbites.com/2009/05/peanut-butter-banana-oatmeal-cookies/.  I started out looking for a oatmeal banana cookie and after reading a bunch of reviews for different recipes, I decided to add peanut butter to the mix.  After reading the reviews of this recipe, I added chocolate chunks to half the cookies (I doubled the recipe). 

The Verdict:  These were a big hit at MOPS and I found them to be pretty good.  I loved the texture, they turned out nice and chewy and moist with a crisp bottom.  There was a good balance of ingredients, you get a good PB flavor, a hint of banana, and sweet chocolate with the chocolate chunk cookies.  There was also the perfect amount of oatmeal, just enough to make the cookie chewy but not enough to dry it out.  I began calling them "Elvis cookies."  There was quite a bit of sugar in these, so they were pretty sweet.  If I make them again, I may reduce the amount of sugar or use a less sweet PB.  

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup mashed banana (from 1 sm/med)
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a large bowl, cream together sugars and butter. Beat in egg until smooth, then mix in the peanut butter and mashed banana. Working by hand or with a mixer on low speed, blend dry ingredients into the peanut butter mixture. Stir in the oats.
Shape dough into tablespoons and place on baking sheet, flattening each slightly with your fingers.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies just begin to turn golden around the edges.
Cool on a wire rack.
Makes approx 2 dozen.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment