Friday, February 18, 2011

Cake Pops



I had my first cake pop during Gob Day at the Galleria in Johnstown.  It was strawberry shortcake flavored and I fell in love.  I searched them out online and found this site:  http://www.bakerella.com/.  I enjoyed all the cute little designs and ended up buying the book on Amazon.com.  
I decided to try the heart shape because it seemed to be pretty straightforward for a beginner.  I chose chocolate cake and frosting for the inside, seemed appropriate for Valentine's Day, and Wilton pink candy melts for the outside.  The author suggested using boxed cake mix and ready made frosting, but I like to use less processed ingredients, so opted to try out the book recipe.  The cake looked and tasted good and frosting was thick, butter-creamy, and chocolatey.  I crumbled the cake and mixed it with the frosting as instructed.  I then rolled the mix into 1 inch balls and stored them in my "outside refrigerator," my kitchen deck, overnight.
The next day, I took a small heart shaped cookie cutter and shaped the cake balls into hearts.  I put the hearts into the freezer for a few minutes to firm them up for dipping.  I melted the pink candy in the microwave in a glass bowl.  Having all my supplies and ingredients out, I took the lollipop stick dipped into the melted candy, stuck it into the bottom of the heart, and dipped the heart into the pink candy, shaking the excess back into the bowl.  I dried the pops upright in a piece of foam I taped to the table.  I bought Wilton fine tip, edible markers to write on the hearts because that is all Walmart had.  

The Verdict:  They are very sweet, which was to be expected.  The center was moist chocolate cake and the outside was a nice firm pink chocolate.  The markers did not work very well, the tip was not soft enough for the chocolate.  I think a felt tip marker would be better.  I am not used to working with melted chocolate, so that will take some practice.  I got little cellophane bags with metallic twist ties to package them which made them look extra cute.  All in all it was a fun experience and when I have more time, I will attempt them again.


1 comment:

  1. I made a few round cake pops and they were a lot easier. I think maybe the heart was a bit too big and hard to dip.

    ReplyDelete