Sunday, February 13, 2011

Butternut Squash Bread

In continuing on my quest to make a baked good for as many birthdays as I can this year, I made my grandma's boyfriend Butternut Squash Bread, as he is a fan of quick breads.  I actually bought a whole butternut squash, halved it, and roasted it in the the oven for an hour after covering the exposed areas in butter.  I then spooned out the warm flesh of the squash and pureed it in the food processor.  I recently got a 7 cup Kitchen Aid food processor to make baby food and it is fabulous.  I cooled the squash overnight in preparation to make the bread the following morning.

I got up the next morning and was a multitasking extraordinaire.  I made my husband an omelet, made the dog chicken and rice, since he was sick and on a bland diet, and made a batch of this bread using this recipe:  http://www.seasonalrecipes.com/rec/recipe196.butternutsquashbread.html .  I chose this recipe because it had gotten several good reviews.  The bread was really easy to make, except I had to make 1 loaf at a time because I only have 1 loaf pan, you pretty much just mix everything together. 

The Verdict:  Comparable to pumpkin bread.  If I were to change anything, I would cut down on the amount sugar.    

Butternut Squash Bread

 
 


Makes 3 loaves

3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ginger
1 cup water
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups butternut squash, cooked until soft & cooled
4 large eggs Grease and flour 3 9" x 5" loaf pans. Pre-heat oven to 325 F.

Combine dry ingredients. Add water, oil, eggs and squash. Fill each loaf pan half full with batter. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

3 comments:

  1. Never really had a butternut squash, but if it's like pumpkin bread, as you said, then I'd probably enjoy it myself. As for the sugar...psh, the more sugar the better haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This fall was the first time I ever even saw a butternut squash in person, let alone tried to eat one! But one came in my CSA so I had to figure out what it was and what to do with it. I made a similar butternut squash bread to yours, but mine had a swirl of a heavy cinnamon/brown sugar mixture in the middle. Mmmm, now I want to make it again! I used the rest to make a knockoff pumpkin pie, which was also fabulous.

    Happy baking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, the swirl sounds neat! I thought the butternut squash tasted a bit sweeter than pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete